Clos du Moulin aux Moines - Pommard - 2013
is currently backordered. You may still purchase it now but we won't be able to ship it until it becomes available again.
Variety: Pinot Noir
Estate: This mythical “clos” has been farmed and harvested since its plantation by the Abbey of Cluny monks, and then by those of the Abbey of Citeaux since 962, continuing until 6 centuries later.
This unique and specific area was chosen by the monks because of the environments qualities/features: a noble abode in the intersection of two valleys at the heart of the Cote de Beaune wine region, walled in by the Clos and penetrated by the Clous River which nourished the mill.
Built in 1650, the blessed chapel and the dovecote of 500 birdhouses, each dedicated to a couple of pigeons, testifies to the status of the Domaine’s historical owners, as the population of pigeons in one’s dovecote was said to be equivalent to that of one’s power and influence in the land.
Since 2008, the Andrieu family, Grandfather, Father and Son, has been dedicated to restoring the ancient values of it’s legendary wines, in the spirit of biological agriculture.
A globe-trotter with the world at his doorstep at 30 years old, Jordane Andrieu established himself full-time in Auxey-Duresses as the next in place to take on the challenge of the Domaine. He studied and graduated with an Œnologie Technician’s Diploma at the University of Dijon, and spent 3 months acquainting himself with a viticultural career amongst the team on the Domaine. It was at this point that he recruited groundkeeper/winemaker Willy Roulendes, after a long residency at Domaine de Montille, with whom he is gradually rebuilding the Domaine.
The biological and biodynamic agriculture practiced on the Domaine encourages a diversified microbial population, and allows the vines’ roots’ to take advantage of all the geological richness in the terroir.
Tasting Notes: The Pommard Village is composed of 3 very compatible vineyards.
The “Croix Planet” vineyard is situated in what extends from the Chateau de Pommard, between the Route des Grands Crus and the Nationale N74; appropriately it produces wines as fat and abundant as the chateau itself. Planted in 1947, the “Vaumuriens” vineyard is situated closer to Volnay just on top of “Les Rugiens” and yields wines that are more fine and structured whereas the “La Vache” vineyard, which is situated on the hill-centre of the terroir, assures a rather mineral wine.
What stands out in the Pommard Village is it’s tannic structure with a particular rustic character typical of the terroir, whilst holding its elegance firmly intact with the touch of its silky interior.
It sports a very pleasing acidity with vanilla and chocolate aromas, and will be serenity in a bottle after 2-3 years nesting in the cellar.
Barrelled elevage duration: 18 months
New oak proportion: 15 - 25 %